Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Life on the Sea

While serving in the Coast Guard, I never thought I would ever want to board a cruise ship after my duty had completed. I certainly had enough time out to sea. Here I am, just booking the 14th cruise in my lifetime. I remember my first one ever was on the Carnival Ecstasy to the Virgin Islands way back in 1994. The Ecstasy has since been refitted and remodeled and I believe she is still in duty.


Once the sea is in your blood, you can never leave it. The ocean is a mighty magnet and I am sure that is why I live on the Pacific Coastline. Last month I went aboard the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier, now a floating museum in San Diego Harbor. She is pretty much intact and while explaining to my family all the different functions and gear aboard the ship, I learned that even the things I learned as a boatswains mate in the Coast Guard had never left me. It was my youth on Catalina Island and my fathers love for boats and ships that kept me interested in the sea. I don't care for the beaches but I do love the ocean.

While I was on the Midway I was able to show my wife many pictures of her in port at Subic Bay in the Philippines, her home. I was frantically trying to explain the strategic location of the Philippines as an active American base and why it was vital for our planes to be able to make runs to neighboring islands that were held in WWII by the Japanese and also bombing and flight runs to Vietnam during that conflict in the 1960's and 70's. She looked at me as if I had another eye on my forehead as I was getting too technical and historical on her. I could easily explain that her uncle George, a US Navy seaman met her Filipina auntie there in Olongopo during base occupation but off of another ship that was anchored in Subic Bay.

My sea worthiness is roughly 17 days in which afterwards I become sea-bored. It is about that time I am starting to need land. Well, this sailing will be with Princess Cruises. I have never sailed with Princess but I have been with some of the best and some of the most mediocre ship lines. The most luxurious ship I was aboard was White Star Lines whom was the owner of the great Titanic liner. They are still a first-class company with impeccable service and a deck you could eat off of. I am looking forward to this second family journey aboard a cruise ship. The foods and the entertainment alone will be the highlight for my girls. not to mention the unlimited ice cream! This time we will be joined by another Filipino-American couple and are looking forward to the time together. Until then -- "Full steam ahead."


My early days aboard a cutter-class ship




My first cruise was aboard this ship, Carnival Ecstasy




We sailed the Norwegian Cruise ship Jewel in 2015



Next adventure will be Caribbean Princess from Ft. Lauderdale












No comments:

Post a Comment